Sunday, October 09, 2005

Double Boiled White Fungus Soup

On the fourth week, the chosen theme was Almond. I wanted very much to bake some Almond Cookies but realized that I had yet to recover from the trauma of my failed Chocolate Chips Cookies project. *lol* Searched high and low for Almond Jelly recipe but couldn't find one that I was satisfied with. Finally, I opted for this Double Boiled White Fungus Soup. I liked this soup so much in the past that I used to boil it about twice everyweek for my family. Now I only boil it occasionally.

The Ingredients:




Double Boiled White Fungus Soup

2 servings

Ingredients:
25g white fungus
25g north & south almonds combined
20pcs of red dates (seeds discarded)
rock sugar to taste
2 bowls of water (I used 500ml or water)


Method:

Soak the white fungus for half an hour or until it is soft and then trim off the thick, yellowish base.

Add north & south almonds, red dates, fungus and water into a double boiler. Double boil for 2 hours over medium heat.

Add rock sugar to taste. (Usually I’ll cook for 1 and ½ hour, then add rock sugar and leave it to cook for another ½ hour so that the rock sugar will dissolve.)

Medicinal uses: This soup is beneficial to the complexion and a tonic for the lungs. I read somewhere that regular consumption of this soup (minus the north & south almonds) is very good for your complexion.

Note: Never buy those white fungus that is pure white coz it could have been bleached with chemicals.

2 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 09 October, 2005, Blogger David Edward said…

    it sounds good - but FUNGUS? is that what we call mushrooms?

    I like your blog I will show it to my daughter -
    mineis just a place for wild thouoghts and imaginations.

     
  • At Monday, 10 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    I am not sure whether it is classified under mushrooms. Anyway, I have included the pic of the ingredients for your convenience. I think you can get dried fungus from Asian food stores or Chinese grocery at Chinatown.

    HTH.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index