Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts

I have been itching to bake this Pineapple Tarts since I saw Janny's photo. But I have heard and read numerous comments that it is an extremely tedious job. Since I love Pineapple Tarts so much and this particular recipe by Joshua have had rave reviews, with the encouragement from fellow bloggers like Ching and Judy, I thought why not.

After gathering all the ingredients and a brief consultation with Joshua, I embarked on my mission. The part about cooking the jam is a real killer!!! It took me two and a half hour, instead of one hour as stated in the recipe, to see the golden colour. Perhaps I did not squeeze the juice dry enough which resulted in that.

The second part was much easier. I chose to make the enclosed-type. Mixing the dough was easy and wrapping the pineaple jam with the dough was blissful. After the first tart was out of the oven and cooled, I popped it into my mouth and I was like "Oh my god!!! I need to spank Josh!" *lol*

In case you are wondering why spank Joshua, the reason is, I couldn't stop after the first tart. I popped quite a few and had to force myself to stop! *lol* No regret for the hard work. It is worth the effort.





Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (2005 Version)
黄梨酥

Pineapple Filling:

Ingredients:
4 pineapples
9 cloves
caster sugar (I used 150g caster sugar and about 4 tbsp of honey)


Method:

Peel the pineapple.

Grate the pineapple using a grater or using a juicer (grater better).

Squeeze out the juice from the grated pineapple fibre.

In a frying pan, put the pineapple fibre and heat using low flame.

Add cloves and fry till water has dried up halfway.

Add sugar to taste. (Amount depending on how sweet pineapple was originally and how sweet you want filling to be)

Continue frying till filling starts to dry and turns golden in colour (abt 1 hr later)

Note: While frying, you have to stir continuously and remember to keep the flame small. Its easier to add sugar by dissolving it in some of the unwanted pineapple juice and adding this to the grated pineapple.


Dough:

Ingredients:
250g golden churn butter
170g cream (I used Nestle UHT cream in the can)
75g caster sugar
400g Top flour or Cake flour
30g Corn flour50g cream cheese (Using Kraft Philadelphia)
3 egg yolks
1 additional egg yolk + 1 tsp caster sugar (for glazing)


Method:

Sift Top flour and corn flour together.

Using a cake mixer, blend the cream, butter, cream cheese and sugar together till you get a creamy mixture. (10 mins on speed 2)

Add the 3 egg yolks and sifted flour into the creamed butter mixture.

Using the cake mixer's dough mixer, mix till it becomes a smooth dough that is oily enough to not stick to your hand

Allow the dough to stand for 10 mins. (Chilling helps if you are making the pineapple on top kind)

Divide dough into small balls and the pineapple filling into balls roughly 1/2 the size of the dough.

Wrap filling ball with dough ball and shape as desired.

Glaze with the glazing mix.

Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 15 mins in a oven. (If using convection oven with turbo fan, lower temperature to 160 degrees celsius)

Remove from oven and reglaze again before baking for another 5 mins till golden brown on top.

Tazz's Note: It yielded 110 Tarts. Totoal weight of the dough was about slightly more than 1 kg. I divided the dough into 10 equal parts, then subdivided into another 11 parts. My advice is to roll the jam into balls first before starting to mix the dough because if one is too slow, the dough will ooze oil.

37 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Lazyg3r said…

    I notice that many supermarket is not selling cream cheese, I wonder why. Where did you get yours, Eve?

    Am glad you finally tried making them. Nice job!

     
  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks Judy! :)

    I bought the cheese in Dec'05, from NTUC Tampines.

     
  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Eve, such cute pineapple tarts you have there :p

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger Fonia said…

    They look really good... Good job! See... U r tempting me again. So many good comments abt Joshua's PA!!! Must try liao lah.

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Eve, well done leh, so swee swee and evenly shapes! I want some! :D

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Making pineapple tarts, especially the fillings are hard work but definitely rewarding, nice job Eve! I'll be making mine this Fri :)

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks ladies! :)

    Fonia & Lin, wish you luck in your PA attempt, remember to squeeze the juice dry before cooking the jam. *lol*

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger Jasmine Riko said…

    *Applaud* *Applaud* well done Eve! How you manage to glaze the tarts so nicely and golden brown? Frankly, I hated glazing! lol I always lost my patience while doing the glazing and end up brushing too much egg and it drip on the baking tray. And the tarts got stuck on to the tray after finish baking! *Sulk*

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jas, glazing is easy. Just have to be careful, dab a little egg yolk mixture at a time, stroke on the tarts slowly. If you are impatient and want to rush, definitely "koya" lah! *lol*

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Blogger culinary said…

    haha, i really envy you all, make such a beautiful pineapple tarts.

    should start a pineapple tart club or exchange of pineapple tart during cny season.

     
  • At Thursday, 19 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't spank me!!! Ahhhhhh!!! Very nicely made ahz~ Lol~ Anyway, going to make pineapple tarts this weekend. Dunno should try to come up with 2006 version or do a variation with 2005. See how lazy I am then~ lol~

     
  • At Friday, 20 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've already made the pineapple fillings on Monday before I started work, cos I know I'm gonna get lazy just thinking abt standing by the stove! *lol*

    Btw, I've always liked to separate the filling making from pastry making, makes it way easier, you might like to try that too :)

     
  • At Friday, 20 January, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jingle, don't envy, just do it and you will never know you can do just as well. I didn't know I could shape them all evenly until I did it. Pineapple Tarts exchange just like the cookies exchange in NK? All busy like mad preparing for CNY, no time to arrange that. *lol*

    Joshua, thanks for the recipe. Don't be lazy, get to work soon, afterall you have your three Niang Zhi Jun (sis) to help you! *lol*

    Lin, I did that. I prepared the jam on Tue and made the Tarts on Wed. :)

     
  • At Friday, 20 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reading your post makes me homesick. sob sob sob... I want some! Mail to me!!!

     
  • At Friday, 20 January, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    tabehodai, homesick? Poor thing :(
    Mail to you? No problem! But but but... *lol*

     
  • At Saturday, 21 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    but but but you have finished them all right? heheh... np gal.

     
  • At Tuesday, 06 June, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Lucy,

    Welcome to my humble blog! :)

    I wonder how you finish all your baked food everyday. *lol* Mind to share your Roselle Jam recipe here?

    Btw, this Pineapple Tarts recipe is from Josh. :P

     
  • At Thursday, 04 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tart,
    what is clove that you used for pineapple filling? is it garlic?
    Can i use pineapple jam that can be purchased for the filling instead?
    Thanks!
    Hana

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi Wei,

    Haha.. clove is not garlic. It's called Ding Xiang in Chinese.

    You can use those Pineapple fillings that are specially prepared for making Pineapple Tarts. Save you alot of time in preparing them, but I personally will not use those ready made type.

    My neighbour once gave me some pineapple tarts made with those filling and there was some bitter after taste.

    HTH.

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Making this little cute tarts took me a lot more time to capsule the jam than i expected. Tarts came out ok but lack the sensation of 'melt in the mouth'. I used plain flour instead of cake or top flour (couldn't find in supermarket), not sure if that makes the difference. Perhaps i should make the tart a little thicker with less jam, some jam ooze during bake. Still not brave enough to make my own jam yet ;-)
    wei

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Tazz said…

    I remember my problem was in the cooking of the pineapple filling only. Other than that, everything was fine. Try making your own filling next time, the taste will be much better. Anyway, it's a great experience, right?

     
  • At Saturday, 03 March, 2007, Blogger Skills, Learning, Improvements said…

    Hi Tazz,
    Before Chinese New Year, i made one more brave attempt to make pineapple tarts. This time i cook my own pineapple fillings. The tarts came out very good! Thanks for your encouragement!
    Wei

     
  • At Monday, 05 March, 2007, Blogger Tazz said…

    Wei, glad that yours came out good. I was too lazy to bake any cookies for CNY this year. Just rushed to bake two cakes before the eve. :P

     
  • At Monday, 28 December, 2009, Anonymous lyn said…

    Hi, I plan to try your recipe this CNY. Just wondering what you did to all the egg white after that? There is probably cake recipes that use only egg white, do you hv any to recommend? Thks. Lyn

     
  • At Thursday, 31 December, 2009, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi Lyn,

    I like to use my extra egg whites to make Almond Tuile for my children.

    My favourite Almond Tuile recipe:

    Makes 30 cookies

    Ingredients ~

    100g egg white (3 large egg whites)
    85g castor sugar
    40g corn oil (1/3 cup)
    30g plain flour (1/4 cup)
    100g almond slices (I used Bake King brand)


    Method ~

    1. Combine everything except almond slices in a mixing bowl, beat until pale white and smooth. Add the almond slices to the batter.

    2. Line baking sheet with non-stick liner or spray baking sheet with oil.

    3. Take about 1 tbsp of batter and spread into neat round using the back of spoon. (May use an egg ring to help make perfect round cookies). Leave space between cookies.

    4. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 mins or until golden around the edge. To get even colour, bake for extra few mins. Cookies are very soft when freshly out of the oven.

    Note ~ Can use any kind of nuts or seeds (eg. sunflower seeds or sesame seeds).

    HTH.

    regards
    Tazz

     
  • At Friday, 01 January, 2010, Anonymous lyn said…

    Tks Tazz. Here's wishing you a Blessed 2010...Happy baking! lyn

     
  • At Sunday, 10 January, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi,
    wish to ask whether this dough is suitable for open tart? if yes, how long should i bake?

    thanks
    elaine

     
  • At Sunday, 10 January, 2010, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi Elaine,

    Sorry I have no idea because that's my one and only attempt in making pineapple tarts.

    regards,
    Tazz

     
  • At Thursday, 14 January, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi Tazz,
    thanks for the reply... wish to ask another question. can i pre-make the dough in a day advance? example i make it today store it in the fridge, 2molo then use it?

    thanks
    elaine

     
  • At Saturday, 16 January, 2010, Blogger Tazz said…

    Elaine,

    Haha... like I said I only made this once, so can't help you. Tell you what, go to Joshua at http://gan55.livejournal.com/ and he will be able to answer your questions coz the recipe belongs to him.

    HTH.

    Regards
    Tazz

     
  • At Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Eve,

    Thanks for sharing this lovely pineapple tarts recipe. U mentioned using Nestle UHT cream...can i subsituite Nestle cream with fresh milk? Hope you can share your opinions before I proceed to buy the ingredients.
    Many thanks,
    JC

     
  • At Saturday, 15 January, 2011, Blogger Kit Kat said…

    Hi Eve,
    I am seeking your permission to include this pineapple tart receipe in my company's staff newsletter. All credits will be given to you and your blogspot. Is that alright with you?

     
  • At Sunday, 16 January, 2011, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi Kit Kat,

    The recipe isn't mine. Just credit Joshua and his blog. :)

    Regards,
    Tazz

     
  • At Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tazz,

    I'm new here. Was from Singapore original but moved to Australia. Found this webpage of yours and I'm impressed. Would like to try making this pineapple tart. Can I ask the Golden Churn Butter used to make the dough is the salted type or unsalted? And any salt needed?

    Appreciate your advise.

    Thanks & regards,
    SC

     
  • At Tuesday, 18 January, 2011, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi SC,

    I used the salted type.

    Regards,
    Tazz

     
  • At Wednesday, 19 January, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tazz,

    Thanks so much for the prompt response.

    Cheers,
    SC

     
  • At Friday, 06 January, 2012, Blogger j said…

    Hi Tazz,

    I went to 5 supermart, but failed to find the Nestle UHT cream. assuming this is cream a not milk right?

    Where to buy? Thanks!


    Regards
    Jesline

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index