Monday, November 28, 2005

Sweet & Sour Fish

I was inspired by Jadepearl's Thai Sweet & Sour Fish recipe at Nurkochen. In the beginning, I set out to replicate the same dish, but then lazy side of me took over. Instead of following strictly to the measurements of all the ingredients, I just followed my feel, easier this way because no need to measure accordingly, which I thought was quite troublesome. Another thing, Jadepearl's recipe doesn't have sweet chilli sauce, but the stubborn Tazz always likes to add sweet chilli sauce to any sweet and sour dishes, hence I can't call this Thai Sweet & Sour Fish anymore, so I think Sweet & Sour Fish is a more appropriate name for my recipe here.

Yum.... The three gluttons at home gave the thumbs up.



Sweet & Sour Fish

Ingredients:
2 large pieces of Dory Fillet (halve)

Marinade for fish (mixed together):
2 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons wheat flour
2 tablespoons rice flour

Sauce Ingredients:
1 onion, cut into pieces
1 green pepper, cut into pieces
sugar
Maggi tomato ketchup
Maggi sweet chilli sauce
rice vinegar
rice wine
some water
some pineapple cutes


Method:

Dredge the fish in the marinade, and leave to stand for about an hour so that the fish is infused with the flavor. Heat oil to deep-fry the fish on both sides. Put on a serving plate.

In a small pan sauté the onion and green pepper, add the remaining ingredients, except the pineapple, and simmer until water is slightly reduced, then add the pineapple and heat through.

Dish up sauce onto the fried fish. Serve.

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your sweet & sour fish looks very delicious. Hope to replicate this at home. May I know what is wheat flour? And rice flour is not the glutinous rice flour right? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

     
  • At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi Jess, the actual Thai Sweet & Sour Fish recipe by Jadepearl called for wheat flour, I did not have it so I substituted with wheat starch (dunno whether wheat flour & starch are the same, I anyhow humtam only. *lol)

    Rice flour is different from glutinous rice flour.

    HTH! :)

     
  • At Tuesday, 06 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love fish, might try this one of these days.

     
  • At Saturday, 31 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Every recipe on the web calls for catsup, and the flavor is unmistakably "catsup fish". Any ideas for how to make sweet & sour fish without catsup?

     
  • At Saturday, 31 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    If I have not mistaken, catsup is tomato ketchup that you are refering to, right? Well, sometimes I cook Sweet & Sour Fish without using ketchup. I just add Thai Sweet Chilli sauce, Maggi Chilli sauce, some light soy sauce, a little sugar and water. Taste good as well.

    HTH! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index