Friday, February 03, 2006

Fried Nian Gao/Sticky Cakes

Nian Gao /年糕 a must have for the Chinese New Year. If you are interested in reading about the origins of Nian Gao /年糕, can refer to 龙卷风, haha... the story is told in a very "humorous" way. I will only talk about food here.

There are many ways to cook Nian Gao /年糕. I chose to deep fry it, which is very common among locals here. This batter recipe is from Curryman from M4M. Very light and crispy texture.

Nian Gao (Sitcky Cakes)


Sweet Potatotes & Yam


Fried Nian Gao


Fried Nian Gao
煎年糕

Main Ingredients:
Nian Gao, sliced thinly
Yam, sliced thinly
Sweet Potatoes, sliced thinly
Oil for deep frying

Batter Ingredients:
1 egg yolk
100g bread flour
50g rice flour
1 tsp ammonia powder (also called ammonia bicarbonate)
1/2 tsp salt
water


Method:

Whisk batter ingredients with enough water * into a custard sauce like consistency.

Let rest for 30 mins.

Sandwich Nian Gao with Yam and Sweet Potato.

Dip the sandwiched Nian Gao into the batter and deep fry in hot oil.

9 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 04 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm...yummy! I made these on the 1st day of CNY, using my mom's way which is also the same as yours, only the batter consists of flour, egg & sugar. My hubby likes it alot, that was his 1st time eating nian gao made this way.

    A HK friend of mine here said they only dip into beaten egg & fry...wonder if it's good this way?

     
  • At Saturday, 04 February, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Lin, last year was the first CNY that I bought Nian Gao. One of my neighbours taught me to fry with the same batter like yours. Yummy!

    The one dip into beaten egg & fry is like some who dip the luncheon meat into egg and fry. Should be not bad.

     
  • At Sunday, 05 February, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jingle & Mike, I have read your comments from my email, somehow both don't appear here. Blogger's fault! ;)

    Jingle, not all Nian Gao stick to the mouth like glue! I have never encountered that in my life! *lol*

    Mike, I'll watch out for your black glutinous rice Nian Gao post in your blog! ;)

    MacLord, your comments aren't here either. We will have to wait and see about the comments problem! :(

     
  • At Sunday, 05 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am also experiencing some probs publishing the comments, hope blogger won't crash on us!

    Btw, I've tried pan frying the Nian Gao dipped in beaten eggs, nice!

     
  • At Sunday, 05 February, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Lin, I still hve some Nian Gao left. I'll try with beaten eggs soon. Thanks! :)

     
  • At Wednesday, 08 February, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Miss this so so much! *ship some over to me leh* Hehehe...

     
  • At Wednesday, 08 February, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    No problem! On the way! :P

     
  • At Sunday, 19 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, is the egg consisting of the yolk only or the entire egg?? used to love it when my granny made it last time but she's no longer around to make..

     
  • At Sunday, 19 February, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello,

    If you are refering to the one mentioned by Lin, I think should be the entire egg. Maybe you can visit her blog and look at this http://linnish.blogspot.com/2006/02/something-different.html.

    I have some Nian Gao left which I think I will be trying out using that method. But dunno when! *lol*

    HTH! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index