Tuesday, April 11, 2006

DIY BBQ Pork

The craze of this 自製豬肉乾 DIY BBQ Pork, at Leisure Cat, has almost died down by now. Saw so many forummers made this last month. Out of curiosity, I also tried this. First trial was not very successful because I reduced the amount of sugar which was a great mistake. Eventhough I reduced the other seasoning ingredients as well, the taste was completely off the right track. On my second trial, I followed the amount of sugar called for in the recipe but reduced the other three ingredients further, namely dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and cooking wine.

Verdict? My three guinea-pigs and I agreed that there was a tinge of light soy sauce taste, so minute reduction of light soy sauce might be the solution. Nevertheless, they gave the thumbs up for this BBQ Pork. Not exactly like the BBQ Pork we used to eat but the taste and texture were very close, nice in its on way as compared to the store bought BBQ Pork.

If you are keen in this recipe, view the step by step photos here. She didn't use a baking tray although it was mentioned in her recipe. The recipe below has been tweaked, if you want the original recipe, view DIY BBQ Pork.



DIY BBQ Pork
自製豬肉乾

Ingredients:
1 lb. minced meat, with some fats
1-1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 cup sugar


Method:

Put minced meat in a big bowl. Add in the seasoning. Use Chopsticks and stir in one direction until minced meat becomes gluey.

Put some gluey minced meat on a *parchment paper. Cover with a big cling wrap (I think plastic sheet is better) and use a roller to roll the minced meat to 2mm thick. (*Do not use aluminum foil as it will stick!)

Put the parchment paper with minced meat, on a baking tray.

Bake in preheated oven at 125 degree Celsius for 20 minutes. **After that, increase the temperature to 180 degree Celsius and bake for about 20-30 minutes. Keep a close watch, as it burns easily at this stage.

Cooled and cut into pieces.

Tazz’s Note: ** For the last part, I baked the meat for 20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius. Then I removed it from the oven. Left it to cool and flip over on a fresh piece of parchment paper, then baked for an extra 10 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.

I think the time used to bake the BBQ Pork depends on the thickness of the meat.

P.S. I did a third batch on 15th April '06 for the BBQ gathering with my cyber friends. Adjusted the light soy sauce to slightly lesser than 1 tbsp and added 1/4 tsp of cooking oil. Bingo!! :)

26 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006, Blogger FooDcrazEE said…

    aiks....been a long time since i seen people do their own bak kuah...can have some >?

     
  • At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Eve, nice bak kwa, I like the charred bits at the corners. Next time no need to queue for BK during CNY ;p

     
  • At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006, Blogger Lazyg3r said…

    Eve
    Bee Cheng Hiang can "siu dar" (close shop) already....

     
  • At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello!

    With my small oven, I think CNY still have to buy Bak Gua. Just 1lb of meat,three trays in all, baked until I zzz.... *lol*

    I think without the tray might be better, can have larger size. But I saw some forummers from LC who had alot of water oozing out of the minced meat, during the baking process. That's why I used the tray, but my Bak Kua wasn't so wet, maybe because I had adjusted the seasoning ingredients.

     
  • At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006, Blogger BoZoGEMOK said…

    Ooooh La la.. Eve, I love BBQ pork meat... how about doing it for our BBQ on Sat? haha....

     
  • At Wednesday, 12 April, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Wow Eve, you are very hardworking! And thanks for the recipe! I didn't know bak kwa is that easy to make, might give it a try. Oh yeah, how's the taste? Is it similar to store-bought? Can't even purchase bak kwa in U.S., so why not make it myself right? Looks good!

     
  • At Wednesday, 12 April, 2006, Blogger culinary said…

    i love bak kwa...

     
  • At Wednesday, 12 April, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Sharon, to do it for our BBQ on Sat, I think have to pre-bake on the first side, then when the whole piece is formed, cut into big squares and BBQ the other side at the BBQ pit. But then, I will be busy when I have 3 guinea-pigs around at the same time. *lol*

    Ching, my post says "Not exactly like the BBQ Pork we used to eat but the taste and texture were very close, nice in its on way as compared to the store bought BBQ Pork." Thanks for your question and I have just updated the verdict in detail. :)

    Jingle, saw one Bak Kua recipe at your site, have you or anyone tried it so far?

     
  • At Wednesday, 12 April, 2006, Blogger jadepearl said…

    Wah....this is hard work ~ making bak kwa!!! Kudus to you!!!

     
  • At Thursday, 13 April, 2006, Blogger Fonia said…

    Eve, here's 'My Biggest *Muak*' to you... I'm vy keen to try this out!!! Miss Bak Kwa Sooooo much... Xie xie xie xie!!!

     
  • At Thursday, 13 April, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jadepearl, making Bak Kua with my small oven is hard work indeed. *lol*

    Fonia, hope it like it. ;)

     
  • At Tuesday, 18 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Eve,My first time here. I see you have done very well with the Bak Kua. I think yours looks like the one they are selling! Well done my friend.

    Lena

     
  • At Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello Lena, welcome to my humble blog! :)

    Thanks for your compliment.

    You think mine looks like the one they are selling? Take a look at Fonia's, the one which she held up for the camera:
    http://myzest2.blogspot.com/2006/04/my-another-gain-in-baking.html

     
  • At Wednesday, 24 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for this bbq pork recipe. My family loves it. Instead of using the rolling pin, I used a cake spatula, use for spreading frosting, to flaten the minced pork on the parchement paper.

     
  • At Friday, 16 June, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Eve,
    I finally made the bak kua. Delicious indeed. Thanks! Do you know how to store the unfinish bak kua?

     
  • At Friday, 16 June, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Ching, so far I have only kept the bak kua in a Tupperware container for three days without refrigeration. Didn't keep longer than that because I couldn't resist the temptation to eat. *lol*

     
  • At Saturday, 17 June, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Thanks Eve! Now I can make more and snack on it. :) Definitely hard to resist.

     
  • At Saturday, 17 June, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jolene, sorry for approving your comment more than a month later. I turned on the comment moderation when I was away but forgot to check when I retuned to blogging(abt 2 weeks ago?). *lol* Just played with the comment moderation setting again today, then I saw your comment with a few others. I am a blur queen. Glad that your family loves this recipe. :)

    Ching, I like to eat this but with my small oven, very troublesome!!!!! haha!

     
  • At Thursday, 16 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there, got to know your blog through little corner of mine.. great blog! juust a little question, the cooking wine that u used..is it hua tiao or shaoxing wine? thank you for your time! i'll be back for more recipes! great work!

     
  • At Saturday, 18 October, 2008, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello,

    Thanks for dropping by. I made this in yr 2006, *LOL* can't remember anymore. So sorry tt I can't advise you on that. :P

    regards,
    Tazz

     
  • At Monday, 13 September, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG, I love this recipe, so does my entire family. I am so grateful that I found your blog and now I don't have to wait to get my pork jerky. An additional tip, from my experience, I lined the cookie sheet w/ foil before I put down the parchment paper (save me from washing the pan) and I used a plastic scraper to spread the meat on the cookie sheet, instead of rolling it. Wonderful recipe and thank you again.

     
  • At Friday, 07 January, 2011, Anonymous Amanda @ Playing with Food said…

    Hi Tazz, I got here from my friend, Ching's blog, and since she got it from you, I'd like to link yours to my post, if that's ok with you... Thank you for sharing!

     
  • At Saturday, 19 February, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can I substitute the wine with orange/apple juice or perhaps, apple cider vinegar? Would that work? I'm a Muslim & wine is considered non-halal.

     
  • At Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hi,

    I can't advise on the substitute as I have never tried before.

    So sorry.

    Regards,
    Tazz

     
  • At Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love your recipe! I think apple cider vinegar might work - it's just to get rid of the funny taste in meat right? I've used that in other meat dishes and it works. Might taste a wee bit sour though.

     
  • At Saturday, 21 January, 2012, Anonymous Cassie Blake said…

    CNY is just around the bend.
    This time around, i will make my own bah kwa with this recipe.

    Thanks dude!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index