Friday, May 05, 2006

Fried Golden Pomfret

I had wanted to update this post on Tuesday evening but then something went wrong with the internet connection and I couldn't surf for three days. Hubby made serveral calls to SingTel, the service provider, and after running a few tests, he was told that our modem driver was faulty and had to be replaced with a new one. So we took the opportunity to extend another two years broadband service contract with Singtel so as to get a free modem. Due to the coming election, we were told that delivery of the new modem would be delayed until next Monday or Tuesday. Thinking that we would have to go cold turkey without the internet until next week, how miserable?!

Hehe... then Gene comes back tonight and after a few key strokes by him, *Tada!* everything is running again. Hmm.... what faulty modem driver, SingTel?! &%#$@!#..... But then, now that all are home, Gene and Ni will be fighting over the PC with me eventhough the naughty boy has his own laptop. *Arghhhhh!* Poor me, still have to go cold turkey after this entry.

Enough ranting.... lets talk about food!

I like the sauce of this Pai Gu Wang recipe so I made minor adjustment to the ingredients and used it on my Fried Golden Pomfret. When I cooked this same dish for naughty Gene and Ni last week, they liked it so much. They told me to stick to this recipe for fried fish in future. Haha... my significant other also gave the thumbs up for this recipe after trying it on Tuesday.



Fried Golden Pomfret

Ingredients:
1 golden pomfret (or any large fish)
1 garlic, sliced
1 onion, sliced
some green pepper, sliced (Optional)
some yellow pepper, sliced (Optional)

Seasoning:
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch


Sauce:
1 tbsp and 1 tsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp and 1 tsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp and 1 tsp HP sauce
1 tbsp and 1 tsp sugar
100ml water


Method:

Season the fish for 10 minutes.

In a heated wok with oil, slide the fish in and deep fry till golden brown.
Remove and put on a serving plate.

Leave about 2 tbsp of oil in the wok. Sauté the garlic, onion, green and yellow pepper.

Add the sauce and bring to a boil. (Can thicken the sauce with cornstarch and water if desired)

Pour the sauce onto the fried fish.

Serve hot.

9 Comments:

  • At Friday, 05 May, 2006, Blogger BoZoGEMOK said…

    Eve, you've got a happy pomfret there similing away and that means even the fish approved of this recipe of yours! Well Done again!
    I hope you won't be cold turkey for long haha.

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger culinary said…

    wah i wonder where you run lion, its ur connection..hahaha

    good to see you online again....

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger jadepearl said…

    Wah..delicious with hot pipping rice leh!!! :)

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Sharon, *lol* the poor pomfret couldn't smile. Look at its fate. haha...

    Jingle, me just took the opportunity to go jalan jalan instead of staying home.

    Thanks JP! ;)

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ar.. what a 'saucy' fish, my favourite ;)

     
  • At Sunday, 21 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi eve, my name is enzomama. I enjoy reading your blog but nvr posted lah.. Wanted to check with you. what is the diff with white pomfret and golden pomfret? Can golden be steamed or only beta with fried? When compared (if golden can be steamed) which tastes beta? Also is the golden variety "fishy"? Sori, so many questions at 1 time! Tks in advance! :))

     
  • At Saturday, 17 June, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello enzomama, sorry for approving your comment more than a month later. I set on the comment moderation when I went MIA but forgot to check for comments when I returned to blogging about 2 weeks ago. I played with the comment moderation setting again today and I realised that there were quite a few comments during the same period, awaiting my approval. *lol*

    Abt the White Pomfret and Golden Pomfret question, I don't think I can give you a satisfactory answer. I normally steam White Pomfret. As for deep frying, I usually use Black Pomfret and Golden Pomfret.

     
  • At Monday, 19 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Eve,

    No prob! I myself oso mia-ed for a while as have been bz with exams.

    Ya, me too normally steam the white and fry the black. But sometime back saw this golden pomfret at NTUC but dared not buy s not sure to steam or fry. Next time, i see again, I will follow your recipe!

    Tks again!
    enzomama

     
  • At Sunday, 12 June, 2022, Anonymous Gianna T said…

    Nice post thanks ffor sharing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index