Saturday, May 06, 2006

Radish Cake

I like to eat Radish Cake, be it hawker’s Fried Radish Cake or those that are cut into big slices and fried. There is one recipe that I have been very keen to try. The recipe was taken from a cook show featuring Heirloom Recipes. Alas, the family was not very forthcoming in sharing the actual recipe. All ingredients were given in brief estimations. To make matter worse, the measurement of water was given in bowl, an uncommon one that they had been using at home.

After studying a few Radish Cake recipes, and calculating the safe amount of water and flour ratio, I decided to whack one Radish Cake recipe using the same ingredients and method of the said recipe. Verdict? Very pleased with the result.

Those shown in the photo were coated with beaten egg and fried. Yum… I simply love the soft texture of hot fried cakes.



Radish Cake

Ingredients:
1 radish (abt 550g), shredded and strained (do not squeeze)
350ml water (radish water and some water to form this amount)
60g Chinese sausage, diced
25g dried shrimps, soaked, drained and chopped
abt 2 tbsp cooking oil
4 shallots, sliced thinly
1 tbsp and 1 tsp of light soy sauce
slightly lesser than 1/2 tsp salt
some pepper

Batter Solution (mixed and filtered):
175g rice flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour
350ml water


Method:

Heat oil in a wok and sauté the shallots till brown. Remove the fried shallots leaving the oil in the wok.

Add dried shrimps and Chinese sausage and stir-fry till fragrant. Add light soy sauce, salt and pepper.

Mix in the shredded radish.

Pour in 350ml water and bring to boil, and then lower the heat to simmer for a while.

Mix in the batter solution and fried shallot simultaneously.

Stir until mixture thickens.

Transfer the mixture to a square pan (size: 6.5").

Place the square pan in a steamer and steam for about 50 minutes or till done.

Cool completely before slicing.

Note: In the show, more fried shallots were added than this recipe. But then, Ni doesn't like strong fried shallot taste, so I daren't add too much. :P

The above recipe is considered small, if you double the recipe, I guess have to use a 8" square pan.

17 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Lazyg3r said…

    Eve
    You just getting better and better ya! Looks yummy!

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Kelvin said…

    Kia Ora (Hello) from a blogger down under in new Zealand. I was surfing the blog world when your blog popped up, so I thought I would have a quick read. Raddish cake ? I had never heard of it !!!
    I have listed your blog on my "foodie blog" - I hope you don't mind.

     
  • At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Eve, that looks really good! And by 'agaration' some more. way to go ya! ;)

     
  • At Sunday, 07 May, 2006, Blogger culinary said…

    wah, not bad sia, its a good try..
    you are pleased with the result is more than enuff.

    when i got the chance to try it...

     
  • At Sunday, 07 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks Judy, Angie & Jingle! :)

    Hello Kelvin, just visited your blogs. I am honoured to be listed in your blog. Saw Mike aka FoodCrazee there as well. *lol*

     
  • At Sunday, 07 May, 2006, Blogger jadepearl said…

    So sedap!!! Keep up the good work! :)

     
  • At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger BoZoGEMOK said…

    Raddish cake... oooh I love this esp when it's hot! Evelyn, well done! Your blog goes international!

     
  • At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Hugbear said…

    Eve, great minds think alike. I made raddish cake yesterday too. I just cut mine up and lightly panfry it. I love it that way.

     
  • At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Solo said…

    wah look delicious, i love cai tao kuay too.

     
  • At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello ladies, I think many like Radish Cake, especially the fried type.

    Solo, thanks for dropping by. :))

    Sharon, going international is a big joke for this average food blogger. *lol*

    LeeLee, I have already replied to your pm. I'll get back to you when I have the time this week.

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 May, 2006, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Yummy! I too love radish cake and chai tau kuih. Should have make it one day.

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Ching, I love Radish Cakes. My sis also says she is going to make after seeing this post. haha...

     
  • At Saturday, 13 May, 2006, Blogger rokh said…

    yummy yummy! i want to try this

     
  • At Saturday, 13 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Good good! But don't spank me if it doesn't suit your taste! *lol*

     
  • At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was searching high and low for a radish cake recipe, or chye tow kuih. I am so happy I found your blog. I hope you keep your pages alive because I really love them, especially the recipes. Thanks Tazz!!

     
  • At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello! Glad that you like my blog. Do drop by often. :)

     
  • At Monday, 01 April, 2013, Anonymous Ward said…

    I tried your recipe yesterday, unfortunately it didn't turn out well. The taste was good but texture was too gooey on the inside even though I've steam the cake for an hour or so.i couldn't figure out what went wrong...sob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index