Friday, December 09, 2005

Don't laugh!!

Don't laugh! I know I am a wacko when comes to cake decoration. First, the Japanese Koyo-design for my Non-Bake Tofu Red Bean Cheesecake (Gene said that *pout*), then the Agar-agar Leaves and Flowers design for my Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake, and now this. I name this Tazz design. This is my first successful baked cake, to commemorate this event, I choose this design. Haha... you must be thinking "Stop kidding! You don't know how to do proper frosting with cream!" Well, that's true because I have never attended any baking lesson.

My first attempt at cake baking was somewhere around August this year. I made a Sponge Cake. The name of the cake was Never-fail Sponge Cake, but, I failed flat. I was very stubborn, I stuck to the stated time on the recipe eventhough my cake was still quite pale. The end result was a soaking wet Sponge Cake (Oh! What a name?!).

My hubby has been suggesting that I should attend baking course since I am interested, but Tazz being an obstinate creature, will never budge, eventhough he has offered to join me in the lessons. I have managed to learn alot by reading and watching video clips on the net. So in the meantime, I don't think I need to attend any course yet.

Chocolate Cheesecake is my second attempt at baking. Kirsten made this for her gathering with her cyber friends. The cake was very well received by all and she shared the recipe at the forum. I was extra patient this time, the time stated to bake this cake was 45 to 50 mintues at 180 degree Celsius, but my cake took almost 2 hours to bake, despite the fact that I was using a black spring-form pan. The reason could be I kept opening the oven to check on the cake. I baked the cake for the first 15 minutes with a foil at the top to prevent burning at the top. Then I removed the foil. When I saw that the top of the cake was nice golden colour, I put the foil to cover the top again. After 50 minutes, I tested with a toothpick, it wasn't done yet. I put the cake in again with the foil covering the top and check every 15 to 20 minutes. Finally, the cake took almost 2 hours to bake. *phew!* I know my Chocolate Cheesecake doesn't look as great, but to me it is already an achievement. Haha... I am a novice baker, what else can I ask for?!





Chocolate Cheesecake

Ingredients for Mixture A:
250g cream cheese
60g castor sugar
1 egg


Method for Mixture A:

Beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg until well incorporated. Set mixture aside.


Ingredients for Mixture B:
180g butter
150g sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp cocoa powder
120g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder


Method for Mixture B:

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg, one at a time until well incorporated into mixture.

Sift all the dry ingredients together.

Fold into egg mixture.

To assemble, pour half of mixture B, all of mixture A, then the remaining mixture B.

Bake in preheat oven at 150 degree Celsius for 45-50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.

Once cool, chill in refrigerator. Nice eaten chilled.

Note: I greased and floured my 7-inch cake pan. I used plain flour and cocoa powder in the ratio of 1:2. Kirsten's recipe said to bake at 180 degree Celsius, but the recipe at KC said to bake at 150 degree Celsius in an 8-inch square pan.

Final update as at 14th December '05: Kirsten has confirmed that actual temperature for baking this cake should be 150 degree Celsius for 45-50 minutes.

19 Comments:

  • At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger FooDcrazEE said…

    laugh what ?

     
  • At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Don't laugh at my cake decoration. *lol*

     
  • At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger Fonia said…

    Eve, Not laughing but *Salute* to your creative! So cute... See the cake derco like see Eve loh! Keekee

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well its up to individual, if you not used to attending a baking class. Your skill looks not bad in the blog...so long you are happy with wat you are making.

    I attend class is to pass time also learn something new.

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tazz, can you post the recipe for this cake on your blog? Alternatively, can you provide a link to the recipe? I can't seem to locate the thread at Jo's forum. Thanks.

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u got a signature design right there, lady...alrighty this copyright is yours now *lol*

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Blogger rokh said…

    CCC is such a hit huh, i must do it next week

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Fonia, now you can put a face to my name! *lol*

    Jingle, my skill is still a long way to go. Hmm... abt attending lessons, I'll wait and see. If still no improvement for a period of time, I might consider attending baking course.

    Er... Anonymous, the recipe is from Jo's Deli forum, there is a copyright clause (not sure whether applies to her forum) so I need clearance from Kirsten. Link is here: http://jodeli.proboards22.com/index.cgi?board=chat&action=display&thread=1132534963&page=1

    Lin, I daren't claim Tazz as my Copyright Signature, I don't want to get sued. *lol*

    Rachel, you get the CCC bug now! *lol*

     
  • At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Blogger J said…

    way to go, eve. I couldn't bake a thing also 2 years ago, except for cake mixes from supermarket. Hubby also told me to attend baking classes, but I persisted and with help from online buddy I could bake a cake or two now :) You will be a great baker!

     
  • At Sunday, 11 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Oh! What a great news? You did it through the help of buddies on the net?! I shall persist like you then. :)))

     
  • At Monday, 12 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello Fiona, there is no 'copyright' on the recipe since I copied it from a magazine. Apparently a KC member found the original source of it in CW cookbook magazine.

    I'm surprise that it took 2 hours to bake though!! Did u like it?

    _kirsten

     
  • At Monday, 12 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erm, one more note: as i didn't actually purchase the book but scribbled it compared to the KC member who may have purchased, the book said the hour temperature should be 150C (sorry)!! If so, does it mean u will take 3 hours to bake?? ;) *teasing* I will need to look for this book and check the recipe again! _kirsten

     
  • At Monday, 12 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Hello Kirsten, *Ahem* Tazz is Evelyn and not Fonia.

    I like Chocolate and Cheese, so definitely I like the cake. The reason why I took two hours could be the foil I used to cover the top to prevent burning or cracks on top. (hehe.. maybe I have read too much about trouble-shooting in baking, and I thought prevention was better than cure. *blush*)

    I don't even know the recipe is also at KC, I'll go take a look. Anyway, thanks for sharing the recipe and I shall go ahead to post the recipe for the convenience of my readers here.

     
  • At Tuesday, 13 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    opps...big boo-boo! Sorry about, I think i was looking at both your blogs together and got all mixed up *blush*.

    this is just my novice baking experience. I think u only cover the cake with foil after u have baked it for a while and not from the begining e.g. after 40min and you think your cake top is getting too brown for your liking.

    Just curious here, so with your method, did the cake crack? _K

     
  • At Tuesday, 13 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Kirsten, I read from forums that some covered their cakes from the beginning of baking, and remove the foil after about 10-15mins. I did the same. About 20-25mins later, the cake was nicely brown(the exact colour that I like),so, I covered with foil again.

    The top of my cake was very nice. No cracks and burn. The next time I bake any cake, perhaps I'll let it bake and cover with foil later.

    Btw, if you check the recipe on the book again, please give all the CCC lovers the latest update on the temperature, okay? Thanks! ;)

     
  • At Wednesday, 14 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Eve, I went to Popular last night and RE-checked the recipe again. It says 150C and best eaten chilled! Sorry again about the temperature as I didn't copy that part down properly! I've amended the recipe at Jodeli.

    So do u think u will take more than 2 hours then ;) hehehehe... Hey, apparently someone else also took about the same time as you did. Do u think the reason is the oven model?

    Maybe I should try baking cakes the method u mention! Some of my cakes seem to have unavoidable cracks!! _k

     
  • At Wednesday, 14 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Kirsten, thanks for the update on the temperature.

    Analyse my CCC baking:
    * 7-inch round cake pan, at 180 degree Celsius.
    * covered with foil for first 10-15 mins.
    * removed foil and baked for 20-25 mins, cake turned golden brown.
    * covered with foil throughout the length of baking until done.
    * took cake out to check at 10-15 mins intervals (Total time opening the oven door: around 8-9 times).
    * problem area: centre of cake took longer to bake.
    RESULT: Took almost 2 hrs to bake.

    If I use an 8-inch square pan (stated in recipe at KC) and bake at 150 degree Celsius, cover the top with foil for the first 10-15 mins then remove foil, I believe the top won't turn golden brown so fast after 20-25 mins(because temperature is reduced), so I don't have to cover with foil again. With a wider surface on top, the centre won't take so long to bake and I believe the actual baking time will be lesser than 2 hours.

    Haha... I am a novice baker and here I am doing the analysis myself. Don't laugh at Tazz, okay? *lol*

     
  • At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger e-hamster said…

    Hi there I like your blog:-)

     
  • At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks gemma! Do drop in often then. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index