Sunday, October 23, 2005

Homemade Chicken Rice Meal

Cooked my first Homemade Chicken Rice Meal for dinner today. I got the idea from Lin when she posted her food photos at Rainbow Connection. All this while, I thought home cooked Chicken Rice was troublesome until Lin inspired me with her Chicken Rice cooked with ready made chicken rice mix and Fried Chicken Wings. I am so glad that from now on, I can cook this without worrying about cooking and chopping the whole chicken in my kitchen.

My meal consisted of Fried Chicken Wings, rice cooked with Chng Kee's hainanese chicken rice mix (added extra slices of ginger and crushed garlic as per Lin's method), boiled vegetable with oyster sauce, Glory chicken chilli sauce to go with the meal, and not to forget the Egg Drop Soup. The recipe for this soup was copied from Allrecipe and I changed the cooking method to my preference.



Egg Drop Soup

4 servings

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1/8 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 tbsp potato starch
2 eggs
1 egg yolk


Method:

Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan. Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil.

In a small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and potato starch until smooth. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork.

Add Potato starch mixture to the chicken broth in the saucepan, and stir over medium heat till thickens.

Stir clockwise 2-3 times.

Pour egg in when soup is still moving. Turn off heat.

12 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 23 October, 2005, Blogger Jasmine Riko said…

    *Look at the clock* already 11:05 pm! Still haven’t digests yet? :P Your homemade chicken rice set meal looks great. Oh and the lemon tarts and roti sausage rolls they looks great too. *Drool*

     
  • At Monday, 24 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jas, when you posted this message, I was still editing my article. *lol*

     
  • At Tuesday, 25 October, 2005, Blogger FooDcrazEE said…

    its kinda easy to cook chicken rice from scratch! all u need is minced ginger, salt, rice and chicken stock available when u boil ur chicken before dumping then into running cold water.

    Try ir tazz

     
  • At Tuesday, 25 October, 2005, Blogger Jasmine Riko said…

    Eve,

    I noticed that too. :lol:

     
  • At Tuesday, 25 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    foodcrazee, I am worried about chopping a big cooked chicken because I don't have a big chopping board and a strong chopper. *lol* Actually I like to eat 白切鸡 very much! Another problem is I don't know how to cut the chicken up expertly, so it will look appetizing, instead of messy chunks of meat on the plate.

    Well, I have been considering what you have just mentioned. Maybe I'll pluck up enough courage and try cooking from scratch one day. Thanks for your advice! :)

     
  • At Tuesday, 25 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Jas, I took so many hours to digest the food, just like you took such a long time to digest your Gyoza last night! *lol*

     
  • At Wednesday, 26 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice meal, eve...glad u like the idea :)

     
  • At Wednesday, 26 October, 2005, Blogger jadepearl said…

    Delicious meal, Tazz!!!

    I hope you don't mind me linking your blog to my blogger!

     
  • At Wednesday, 26 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks Lin!

    jadepearl, I saw it the other day and I also did the same! :)

     
  • At Thursday, 27 October, 2005, Blogger FooDcrazEE said…

    cutting up the chicken is easy once you know where the joints are. Depends on which style you use. Western or chinese. U dont need heavy chopper or chopping board.

    Try this link

    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cutupchicken.htm
    http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=26&id=387

    Then debone the chicken and you dont need to chop up!

    U will need a good sharp knife.

     
  • At Thursday, 27 October, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Thanks foodcrazee for the great site! :)

     
  • At Friday, 28 October, 2005, Blogger Jasmine Riko said…

    Eve,

    Yah, finally digest them phew~~~. :lol: I can’t the “cut” chicken not mention about chopping them uncooked! They always end up big and small pieces with their skin almost rip off. Poor chicken. :lol:

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index