Monday, October 17, 2005

Meme - Childhood memories of food

Oh my goodness!! Jaschin has passed the baton to me, and now it is my turn to relate my childhood memories of food. Hmm… let me recall the long forgotten journey in my childhood.

* When I was very young, Dad used to da-bao lots of supper for the family every other night. Food like Satay, Fried Oyster Omelette, Hokkien Noddle, all sorts of Bao, and my favourite Durians!! When my late sister celebrated her 21st birthday, she also da-bao Satay and Stir-fry Ginger Liver for us. That supper from my late sister was the most unforgettable because I vomited and fell sick the very next morning. Thereafter, I hated the Stir-fry Ginger Liver until today. She was the one who taught me to enjoy Stir-fry Ginger Liver, and she was also the one who made me hate the dish!! Don’t know why I could forgive the Satay. *lol*

* Dad brought us to the road side stalls at the old Thye Hong Biscuits Factory to eat Satay Bee Hoon. That was the first time I ate Satay Bee Hoon, and I remember we went there on quite a number of occasions.

* Mum liked to experiment with various recipes every Sunday. She made Poh Piah, Soon Kueh, Bao, Rojak, Huat Kueh, Steamed Egg-Cakes, all kinds of Hot Desserts and her special Hokkien Bah-Chang. She was so good with the Bah-Chang that my late grandma ordered her to make for all the relatives. But then, she had refused to budge because she had to make so many, which was very tedious, to feed her own brood.

* Mum was not only good in cooking. She was also very good in baking. (Mum is still around, I used past tense because she is no longer good in her skills *lol*) She made Love Letters and used her improvised oven to bake Kueh Bangkit for Chinese New Year. She even made Kueh Bangkit to sell. Business was so good that she had to turn down lots of late orders.

* Mum and I liked to eat the famous Chinese Rice Pudding (Wan Kueh) in Bukit Merah. I used to walk to the HDB blocks near my Primary School to wait for the man who peddled his food on bicycle at that time. Ten years ago, when Mum and Dad moved to the present address, we discovered that the same man was selling the same Wan Kueh in the hawker center near their place. Dad used to bring my two naughty children to buy from the stall whenever we visited.

Nobody to tag because I am a new kid on the blog. :(

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index