Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ayam Percik

Person who shared this Ayam Percik recipe was Jam from KC. This morning was the first time that I used my oven to grill chicken. After buying my oven this year, I couldn’t bear to grill any meat (other than ham and canned tuna) in it because I was worried that it might stain my oven. When I saw so many grilled chickens and turkeys photos in the forums, I couldn’t resist anymore. I told myself I had to start using my oven to grill meat, any meat, be it chicken, pork or beef. Finally I settled for this Ayam Percik recipe because I was curious after having read all the good reviews in KC. No regret after trying because the chicken tasted fantastic and most important of all, no oil stains in my precious oven. *lol*



Ayam Percik

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (about 2kg), cut into 4 pieces. Alternatively, can use chicken thighs
15 dried chillies
10 shallots
3 garlics
1 stalk lemon grass, sliced thinly first.
2cm ginger
2cm fresh turmeric (or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder)
2cm galangal (lengkuas)
1 tbsp meat curry powder
assam juice (2 tbsp assam mix with some water, strain and discard seeds)
1 cup water
200ml thick coconut milk
salt and oil


Method:

Grind chillies, shallots, garlics, lemon grass, ginger, fresh turmeric and galangal till fine.

Heat oil in a wok, then add in the ground ingredients. Stir fry for a while.

Add the assam juice, curry powder, coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Mix well and add in the chicken pieces and salt. Simmer till gravy has thickened.

Remove the pieces of chicken and place them on a tray. Pour some gravy over the chicken and grill them till the chicken is slightly crispy.

Serve hot with lettuce, shredded cucumber and slices of tomato. Ayam Percik is a dish by itself but also goes well with rice or bread.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 18 December, 2005, Blogger rokh said…

    mmm simple and yummy. one of my favourite pasar malam food

     
  • At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your grilled chicken looks terrific! No worries for the oven stains, Eve...they do sell oven cleaners in the store, just spray & leave it on overnight then clean it, very easy & convenient :)

     
  • At Monday, 19 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    Rachel, this is my first taste of Ayam Percik. :P

    Thanks lin for the tips! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index