Thursday, December 22, 2005

冬至 Winter Solstice Festival

Today is 冬至 or Winter Solstice Festival. I had already served one round of Tang Yuan(汤圆) on Sunday as I was worried that my significant other might have to travel overseas during this time. Thank god, my prayer has been answered! His trip is now postponed to early January. So, what do I do today? Of course I serve another round of my children's favourite Tang Yuan(汤圆). In this modern time, many Chinese, especially Singaporeans, have already stopped celebrating this occasion. But, I have continued the practice of cooking Tang Yuan(汤圆) because my children, especially Gene, like it so much. I even buy the frozen type from Supermarket to cook for them as and when we feel like eating.

The Chinese word tang (meaning 'soup') sounds like tuan which means reunion, while yuan means round, signifying "yuan man" (complete /圆满 ). The entire phrase tang yuan therefore symbolises "tuan yuan" (family reunion /团圆 ), and eating tang yuan on Dong Zhi represents family reunion and harmony, and also signifies family unity and family prosperity.

See the significance of Tang Yuan(汤圆) now? That's why I must have it on 冬至or Winter Solstice Festival, and also on Chinese New Year. Hahaha... Tazz isn't the very traditional type, but Tazz views the unity and harmony of Tazz's family as the most important thing in Tazz's life. Nothing matters, but my family!

The Tang Yuan(汤圆) that I have cooked today is the Spring Home Glutinous Rice Balls with peanut filling. I just boil some Red Bean Soup and serve with the cooked Glutinous Rice Balls.



Glutinous Rice Balls with Red Bean Soup

6 Comments:

  • At Thursday, 22 December, 2005, Blogger Little Corner of Mine said…

    Tazz, I was just asking my hubby what's the meaning of Tang Yuan, hahaha... And now I know...guess I will have to start making it for my family too! :) Will make mine tomorrow, as Dong Zhi is tomorrow here.

     
  • At Friday, 23 December, 2005, Blogger rokh said…

    i made my tong yuen today, with plain riceballs and also pumpkin rice balls in the ginger pandan soup. i had 'reunion' with my bf. ;)

     
  • At Friday, 23 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wanted to make the tang yuan yesterday but realised that I didn't have enough glutinous rice flour!! Guess I'll have to postpone it to next year's dong zhi...hehehe!

     
  • At Friday, 23 December, 2005, Blogger Tazz said…

    My next round of Tang Yuan will be the coming CNY. *lol*

     
  • At Saturday, 23 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wanted you to know that I made your recipe for tang yuan with red bean soup for Dongzhi this year, and it was superb! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

     
  • At Sunday, 24 December, 2006, Blogger Tazz said…

    Glad to know that. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
<< Index